I recently came across Mary’s blog, Herban Lifestyle, and she recommended a bunny treat recipe that she has on her blog. I think its a great recipe, and it would be an excellent treat for larger rabbits, but I am not too keen on giving our dwarf buns treats made with store bought baby food. So we experimented with a few other ingredients, and here’s what we did :
APPLE AND PARSLEY COOKIES
You’ll need :
- large bunch of fresh parsley, thoroughly washed
- 2 tablespoons canola seed
- 2 apples, peeled and grated
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups dried lucerne
- combine washed parsley and grated apple in a food processor, add a splash of water and process until a smooth pulp is accuired
- spoon the mixture into a large mixing bowl and add the rest of the ingredients
- mix all the ingredients well together, cover the mixture and let it stand in the fridge for about six hours
- once the oats are soft, the mixture is ready for the next step
- scoop small spoonfulls onto a non-stick baking tray, flatten the cookies slightly, but take care to keep the shape
- bake in a pre-heated oven at 50 degrees Celsius for about four hours, turning the cookies every now and then
- once the cookies are dry, take them out of the oven, let them cool and give your bun a treat!
Remember, our little dwarf buns have sensitive tummies, so I recommend that they only get one cookie a day. It is a treat after all!